Monday, November 16, 2015

Missing Persons Day Event



By Cherolyn Gordon

October 26th, 2015 ASU College Glendale, AZ

As Rebel and I journeyed towards Arizona my thought was nothing other than this event will help me do my job of fundraising better.  Friday evening as we get settled into our rooms anticipating the morning of the event, which came very early. At this time, I am still in awe and excited about the knowledge I will gain. It took a few minutes, but finally got our table set up with Can You Identify Me banner, flyers, pictures, and information on the organization.

By 10 AM family members of the missing started to walk through the double doors with the hope, I’m sure, of something or someone new might hold the magical element or clue they needed to help find their missing loved one. I just sat quietly listening and watching as people of all walks of life walked by our table gazing at each item displayed. Some stopped to ask questions about the organization and some strolled on by curious as to what other institutes had relating to their situation.

We all go through ups and downs in life, which may or may not be what we want or expect. When this happens we often ask ourselves, “Why Me”.  Why did I have to be the punching bag to life’s worst occurrences? In death, It is depressing when you lose a loved one by illness, accident, or old age, but at least you know the how and why.  

My first experience meeting a father who was still searching for his son missing 14 years. Deep in is heart he probably knows his child is deceased, but in his eyes over the pain and hurt, still a glimmer of hope portrayed. He whispered gently he hasn’t slept in 14 years.  At that moment, it was all I could do to hold back my tears. I for one don’t ever want to feel the pain that I saw in the eyes of families who has a child, cousin, sister, brother, father, or mother missing. It is the not knowing that is detrimental to your being.

If I am only a volunteer for six days, six months, or six years with Can You Identify Me I will always be grateful to this foundation for all that is done to support and assist the families who endure such agony.  


Thank you Rebel, board members, and volunteers for all you do! 

No comments: